That does not mean there is any need to panic.
While there is no cure for HIV / AIDs, there are options to prevent transmission, live healthily with HIV, and even make the virus undectable.
WHere do I Get Tested In Terrace?
Terrace Health Unit
3412 Kalum Street
Terrace, BC, V8G 4T2 Phone: (250) 631-4200 Thursday 3pm - 5pm
Lazelle Avenue Medical Clinic
4720 Lazelle Avenue
Terrace, BC, V8G 1T2
Phone: (778) 634-2121
Some Facts About HIV / AIDs
- HIV / AIDS is not a death sentence. Using treatment someone who is HIV+ will have close to the same life expectancy as a HIV- person.
- In the Northwest 1 in 4 people who have HIV are not aware they are HIV+.
- Anyone can become infected with HIV / AIDS. Age, race, sex, or sexual orientation does not matter - anyone can get HIV / AIDS.
- Only five body fluids can transmit HIV / AIDS. They are: blood, semen, rectal fluid, vaginal fluid, and breast milk.
- The two main ways to contract HIV / AIDS are through sex and by sharing needles. There are other ways the virus can be transmitted, such as: sharing tattoo ink and needles, sharing jewelry, or sharing acupuncture needles.
- HIV cannot be passed on by: shaking hands, eating, hugs or kisses, coughs or sneezes, toilets, swimming pools, towels, utensils, and using other common items.
- Using ART, the HIV virus can become undetectable, which will drastically reduce the chance of transmitting the virus and prevent HIV from progressing to AIDS.
- If you are HIV+, with treatment, you can have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Harm Reduction Supplies, that prevent the transmission of HIV / AIDS, are available from the Ksan Society.
- The Ksan Society has a HIV / AIDS program located at Turning Points Housing Connections.